Thursday, October 28, 2010

Curried Pork Chops with Pineapple Salsa, Black Beans, Homemade Tortillas, and Guacamole

This is really a Summery dish.  I had one package of pork chops left from the last hog and needed to use them.  When I decided to fix this meal earlier in the week is was still rather warm.  Oh well, it was yummy.  Not hard.  It does require some advanced planning if you want to do it quickly.




Black Beans
1 lb package of Black Beans, dried
Onion, chopped
Garlic, 2-3 cloves, smashed
Turmeric
Cumin
Salt and Pepper
Chicken Broth (optional)
I will give you two ways to cook these.  I cooked them on my stove top.  You can also put everything in a crock pot in the morning and the will be done by dinner.  Put everything in a pot except the Turmeric and Cumin, and cover with water about 2-3 inches above the beans.  If using Chicken Broth add it and then additional water as needed.  Cook, slowly until beans are tender.  Add water as needed if they boil dry, but before they scorch. (Yuck)  About an hour before dinner, when you start to prepare the other dishes, add the Turmeric (just a little, about 1/4 tsp) and Cumin.  Stir, and allow to simmer until dinner is ready.

Curried Pork Chops
(This is a recipe adapted from Southern Living Magazine along time ago)
2 tbsp of Curry Powder
1tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp salt 
1/4 tsp fresh ground Black Pepper
Mix together and Rub on both sides of Pork Chops.
Cover and let rest until time to cook.
Cook on the grill until done.

Pineapple Salsa
2 cups fresh Pineapple, chopped
1/2 red onion chopped
2-3 tbsp Cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp honey
Salt and Pepper
Toss pineapple, onion and cilantro together.  In a small bowl stir with a fork remaining ingredients together.  Pour over pineapple mixture.  Stir well.  Let stand for 2 hours. (Or whatever.)

Homemade Tortillas
These are really easy, so don't freak out. They are worth the time.  My kids eat them solo.   Normally, I use Masa Harina (which is available at local markets)  but I was out.  I know not what it really is, it is just used to make tortillas, that is enough for me.  Follow the directions on the package (like flour).  Find it in the Mexican Food section of your market.  No need to panic.  I used the recipe from ThePioneerWomanCooks.com  This recipe was easy too, and worked fine.  I prefer the Masa Harina ones.  Just my personal preference.  However, it is just another ingredient to buy and Pioneer Woman's used regular flour and baking powder.  So whatever makes you smile.

The Guacamole
This is probably the hardest part. It is hard because I don't really measure.  I do it by smell and looks.   But mostly chopping.
4 Avacadoes
Cut in half, remove flesh with a spoon.  Smash.  (Side note:  The avacadoes should be soft, yielding to gentle pressure.  The ones I used tonight were not soft enough and made for some weird Guac)
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 Roma Tomatoes, chopped
Cilantro, (I like the stuff so I use a lot, you use as much as you like),chopped (use your kitchen shears)
Mix Ingredients together, smashing the avocados as you stir.
Add:
A couple squirts of lime juice
Chili Powder
Cumin  (I love Cumin, but don't use too much.  One time the lid came off while I was sprinkling it in the Guac, and it was not good.  There was no way to save it.)
Salt and Pepper
Stir Well.

This seems like a lot of cooking, but really it is not that bad.  I always have someone else do the grilling.  So the only thing that took time was the beans and those you can do in a crock pot, and the tortillas because there was so many of them. Tortillas are cooked one at a time.   Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment