Saturday, October 30, 2010

Chili

This is not a meal to make in an hour.  Repeat, this is not a meal to make in an hour.  However, I thought I would post how to make chili.  It is the weekend and I usually fix a little more elaborate meals on the weekend.  We often have guests for dinner, so they are usually good for a crowd.  Making chili is not difficult.  Trust me, if it was hard, I wouldn't do it very often.  It does take time.   The first thing you have to do is make Brown Beans (yummy!).  I know it seems silly to make Brown Beans and then not eat them, they are so good just the way they are with fried potatoes and cornbread.  That is a meal worth shouting about.  Yahoo!  If you don't know what I mean by Brown Beans, I am talking Pintos.  Around here we just call them Brown.  Why, I know not.  But it might make an interesting research project for a homeschool kid.  So, you will learn to do two meals in one.  To make Brown Beans...use dried pintos (not canned, ugh).  I always make a bunch, don't know why I just do.  I usually have enough beans or chili to feed four times the number in my family.  Oh well.  Try this for measuring, but I really don't know, 1/2 cup of dried pintos per person.  Pick out all the broken, weird looking, or moldy beans.  Rinse well.  Place in a large stock pot and fill with water.  Salt, don't skimp.  I like to use Kosher, but you use what you have.  Just put plenty.  Then Pepper, not too much.  This is important, Bacon Grease.  When I cook bacon, I save the bacon grease in a jar in my refrigerator.  If you don't have bacon grease, you can use bacon, I just don't like the slimy bits in my beans or chili.  Put on the lid and simmer.  Stir occasionally and add water as needed.  Cook until beans are tender.  Taste.  Add salt if needed. Do not add water near the end or the beans will be watery and that is not good. Now you have Brown Beans.  To make Chili...
Brown 1 lb. of ground beef in a skillet. Season with salt and pepper.  Add 3 Tbsp of Williams Chili Seasoning.  Williams is available at most grocery stores.  I buy it in a jar from Sam's.  But it comes in packets.  Ignore the directions on the packet or jar.
Add to beans.
Add 2 small cans tomato sauce
Add 1 can of rotel tomatoes
Then add 3 more tbsp of Williams Chili Seasoning
Stir.
Simmer.
Sprinkle a little Cumin on top of the pot.
Stir.
Sometimes, I add some minced garlic.  Depends on my mood.  Some Turmeric is good too, but not too much.
The chili should have a deep reddish color.  It should smell delicious.  Your pan may be messy.  Don't sweat it, it will wash.  It is worth the effort.
Serve over Fritoes, top with grated cheddar, a little chopped onion, and some guacamole and sour cream.  Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment