Thursday, January 24, 2013

adapted from the Moosewood Restaurant collection
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas5 cups peeled cubed sweet potatoes
½ tsp. salt
2 tsp. canola or other vegetable oil
3 ½ cups diced onions
4 large garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 Tbsp. minced fresh green chile
4 tsp. ground cumin
4 tsp. ground coriander
4 ½ cups cooked black beans (three 15oz cans, drained)
2/3 cup lightly packed cilantro leaves
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. salt
16 oz. enchilada sauce (canned or homemade)
shredded cheddar cheese to taste
8 eight-inch flour tortillas
Fresh tomato salsa
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Place the sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan with the salt and
water to cover. Cover and bring to a boil, then simmer until tender, about
10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
While the sweet potatoes are cooking, warm the oil in a medium
skillet or saucepan and add the onions, garlic, and chile. Cover and cook
on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender.
Add the cumin and coriander and cook for 2 – 3 minutes longer, stirring
frequently. Remove from the heat and set aside.
In a food processor, combine the black beans, cilantro, lemon juice,
salt, and cooked sweet potatoes and puree until smooth. 
Transfer the sweet potato mixture to a large mixing
bowl and mix in the cooked onions and spices.
Lightly oil a large baking dish. Spoon about 2/3 to ¾ cup of the
filling in the center of each tortilla, roll up and place, seam side down, in
the baking dish. Pour the enchilada sauce over the tortillas and sprinkle
with cheddar cheese if you wish. Cover tightly with foil and bake for
about 30 minutes, until piping hot. Serve topped with salsa.

What I did:  I used Olive Oil.  I did not use that many onions.  I like onions but thought that was excessive, even for me.  I only used one can of Black Beans.  I mashed the potatoes and black beans with a potato masher kind of tool.  I didn't mash them completely.  Because I don't like the flavour of enchilada sauce I used a 8 oz jar of homemade tomato sauce and a can of Ro-Tel Tomatoes, blended together in a food processor.  I put grated cheddar in each enchilada and on top before baking.  I served it with some homemade guacamole and for my family some chicken lightly sauteed in olive oil seasoned with salt and chili powder.  I cooked it in the same skillet I cooked the onions and garlic in for the enchiladas.  This made enough filling for 8 well filled enchiladas.

No comments:

Post a Comment