Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Ranch Style Chicken, Rosemary Oven roasted Potatoes, Vermont Cheddar Bread and Broccoli

Yum!  Although I will make a few changes to the recipes in this menu the next time I fix them.  They were all good.  They require a little planning ahead, which is not my normal way of fixing everyday meals.  As we go along I will tell you what I would do different.  I encourage you to make changes to suit your families tastes.
Ranch Style Chicken:  To fix this in an hour or so you need to do part of it the night before.
The recipe is from Pioneer Woman Cooks (find it here:  http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/01/ranch-style-chicken/ )  Thaw your chicken and fix the marinade, pound the chicken to the thinness described in the recipe, place in the marinade, refrigerate, overnight.  (Now, what I did was follow the recipe, plus added a clove of minced garlic.  I would marinate it longer, overnight and add more garlic when fixing it again.  Also I think a little more crushed red pepper)  The next day when ready to cook, follow the directions given.  Cook your bacon in the oven.  (Next time I will crumble the bacon and add a little more cheese.  Be sure to use Sharp or Super Sharp Cheese.  Why?  The presentation is nice if you follow the instructions, but it is hard to eat.  If the bacon were crumbled on top of the chicken then you could easily spread the cheese on without it falling off and it would be easier to cut.  The cheese, it really needs the Super sharpness of the cheese.)
Rosemary Oven Roasted Potatoes:  This is my recipe, however it needs some work.  Let's get started with what I did.  Peel and cut up several potatoes in approximately one inch cubes.  Toss in olive oil, chopped fresh Rosemary, one clove of minced garlic, salt and pepper.  Place baking sheet in oven at 400 degrees and let it get hot.  Place potatoes on the baking sheet after it is good and hot and return to oven, stirring once or twice.   (Next time I will use melted butter instead of olive oil, a lot more Rosemary and garlic and more salt.  The butter will make them brown nicely.  Rosemary seems to sap the saltiness, so don't skimp on the salt.  I just flat didn't use enough garlic.)
3-4 peeled and chopped potatoes
3 Tbsps chopped Fresh Rosemary
3 cloves Garlic, minced
4-6 tbsp of melted butter
Kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper.
Roast in oven at 400 degrees, turning once or twice until tender and nicely browned.
The Vermont Cheddar Bread is from "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day" on page 106-107
Just follow the directions, mix it up the night before (it serious takes 5 minutes to mix)
Refrigerate.  Next day finish shaping the bread.  Let rise, bake as directed.
(I would add more cheese.)  To make this meal in about an hour, do the overnight things the night before (obviously, I know)
Ranch Style Chicken
Vermont Cheddar Bread
Then start the bread first.  It takes 5 minutes from you but needs time to rise, then bake.  Then do the potatoes and put in the oven.  Get the broccoli ready to put on but don't start yet.  Then start the chicken.  Don't forget to turn the Broccoli on about 10 minutes before the chicken is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment